June 29, 2005

Don't give your bad day away!

I used to tell my children, "happiness is a choice", "you make your own good time" and a million more sayings they'd like to forget I am sure!!! But there is something to be said about that. I stood outside the hurricane ruined post office one day shortly after Andrew hit. There was a long line of people waiting under a canopy to finally get their mail. A canopy had been set up to protect those waiting in the hot FL sun.

People had been shaken by their great losses and everyone was finally getting their mail after several weeks. I watched the people as I waited for over an hour. Some were pleasant as they conversed with strangers around them, others were miserable. I even saw a man with a gun strapped to his belt. As I approached the tables, one postal person stood out; he was firm, unbending, telling people what they had to hear..... but he was continually kind to the disgruntled people he served. Surely they must get on his nerves!

When it was my turn I asked, "I've been watching you, you have a great attitude dealing with these people. How do you do that?" Thinking he'd say something spiritual, he looked me in the eye and said, "I just don't give my bad day away."

I never forgot that, it works both ways...don't receive anyone else's either.

No comments: